MONROE COUNTY, Miss. (WTVA) - Firefighters say kids playing with fireworks led to a home in Monroe County going up in flames Sunday afternoon.
It happened around 2:30 p.m. on Highway 278 between Amory and Greenwood Springs.
Becker-Athens Fire Chief Doug Buchanan says the fireworks caught a bale of hay on fire and the flames spread to the home.
No one was living in the home at the time, so no one was injured.
Firefighters from Amory, Cason, Hatley, Rural Hill, Sipsey River and Splunge responded to the fire call along with Becker-Athens.
- Fire destroys Monroe County home
- Fire destroys Pontotoc County home
- Fire destroys Lee County home
- Fire destroys Mooreville home
- Fire destroys Houston home
- Oktibbeha County home destroyed in fire
- Clay County family home destroyed after fire
- Home destroyed in Union County fire
- Overnight fire destroys Lee County home
- Fire destroys home in Sturgis