FAIRHOPE, Ala. (AP) - Authorities say a man who was fatally shot by police to end a chase on the Alabama coast had emerged from a car with a shotgun.
Baldwin County District Attorney Huey "Hoss" Mack identifies the dead man as 32-year-old Saunders Surber of Martinsville, Virginia.
Mack told a news conference Friday that officers shot Surber in the town of Fairhope as he got out of a stolen car with a gun after a chase. He was wanted for robbery in Virginia.
Authorities say another man who had been with Surber was arrested. He's identified as Jesse Harris, also of Martinsville.
Authorities say police encountered the men Thursday after being called to a Walmart parking lot. Harris was arrested after one police chase, and Surber was shot and killed after another one.
Copyright 2017 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- 1 dead, 1 arrested after chase, police shooting in Alabama
- Police: 2 dead, 7 hurt, after shootings at Alabama nightclub
- 1 dead, 2 injured in separate Alabama police shootings
- Man dead, officer wounded in Alabama shooting
- Lowndes County chase results in the arrest of Alabama man
- Tupelo police find man dead after late-night chase
- 4 teens arrested after Alabama school shooting
- 1 dead after south Mississippi police shooting
- Police chase ends in Pontotoc
- Huntsville police investigating chase, UAH officer-involved shooting