LAUREL, Miss. (AP) - A grand jury is bringing manslaughter charges against a south Mississippi man who had claimed his girlfriend killed herself.
WDAM-TV reports that a Jones County grand jury has indicted Gregory Burroughs in the June 2 death of Katherine Sinclair.
The 23-year-old woman died after a gunshot wound to the head in a parked car inside Burroughs garage in an affluent Laurel subdivision. Burroughs told police that Sinclair shot herself. Sinclair's mother, Madeline Herrington, questions whether her daughter committed suicide.
Police questioned Burroughs, but released him without charges three days later. Jones County District Attorney Anthony Buckley has said he decided to release Burroughs, saying Burroughs didn't confess and no autopsy results were available.
Buckley says Burroughs will make his first appearance in court Monday, when a judge will consider bail.
Information from: WDAM-TV, http://www.wdam.com
Copyright 2017 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Man indicted in death of girlfriend he said killed herself
- Mississippi man indicted in shooting deaths of 8 people
- Report: Grand jury indicts man for school bus crossing death
- Man indicted in tractor thefts
- Man charged with assaulting girlfriend in Columbus
- Columbus man accused of assaulting girlfriend
- Columbus man charged with assaulting ex-girlfriend
- UPDATE: Plantersville man indicted after crash kills Oxford teacher
- Starkville man faces 16-count indictment for burglaries
- REPORT: Grenada councilman indicted