(WTVA) - People have been expressing their displeasure with a comment on social media by author Joyce Carol Oates concerning Mississippians and reading.
Oates' tweet Wednesday morning was in response to another post on Twitter showing a banner with William Faulkner's picture hanging in the library at Mississippi State University.
One of the responses to the tweet came from the Mississippi Humanities Council:
Another came from Russell Moore, a top official with the Southern Baptist Convention who is also a Mississippian:
So far, there has been no response from Oates to the criticism of her tweet.
- Author upsets Mississippians with tweet about reading
- Mississippians take part in tornado drill
- Mississippians warned of false alarm salesmen
- Doctors urge Mississippians to get Measles Vaccination
- $500 apiece offered to help Mississippians finish degrees
- Senator: Capitol art should also show black Mississippians
- Mississippians not required to be 21 to buy tobacco products
- Mississippians react to sports betting after court clears way
- State website aims to keep Mississippians safe from charity fraud
- READ: The full Mueller report