MONTGOMERY, Ala. (AP) - Prison officials say an Alabama inmate is back in custody hours after he fled a correctional facility near the Gulf Coast.
The Department of Corrections says 40-year-old William Shawn Foster was arrested early Wednesday after Conecuh County deputies saw him driving a stolen vehicle on Interstate 65.
A prison system statement says the man was taken into custody after a brief chase.
Foster is serving a 20-year sentence after being convicted on drug charges in Madison County. He was serving time at the Loxley Work Release Center when he was reported missing Tuesday night.
Officials say Foster will now face additional charges for escape.
Copyright 2017 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Alabama inmate captured hours after escape
- UPDATE: Escaped Noxubee County inmate captured
- Escaped Tennessee inmate captured after 5-day manhunt
- Inmate escapes from Parchman
- UPDATE: Inmate captured after escaping from detention center
- Inmate found nearly 24 hours after escape in Yalobusha County
- UPDATE: Alcorn County inmate captured
- Inmate escapes Marshall County jail
- Inmate escapes from Alabama prison for elderly and sick
- THE MIKE FILES: How do inmates escape?