PRENTISS COUNTY, Miss. (WTVA) - A person died after colliding with a tree, leaving the vehicle in flames.
Near 1 a.m. on Sunday, October 15, Prentiss County deputies and Booneville police were doing a safety checkpoint along Highway 4 in Booneville.
Master Sgt. Ray Hall with the Mississippi Highway Patrol says a pickup truck approached the checkpoint, turned its lights off and turned around attempted to flee.
Hall says the driver lost control of the vehicle on County Road 8061, struck a tree and caught fire.
This was about two to three miles from the checkpoint.
The driver died as a result.
Troopers have not made a positive identification of the driver yet.
"The Mississippi Highway Patrol worked the crash scene to avoid the appearance of any bias in the investigation," said Prentiss County Sheriff Randy Tolar.
- MHP: Driver dies in fiery collision
- MHP: Some drivers licenses stations closed Wednesday
- MHP: Man dies after single vehicle accident
- MHP: 'Operation Stop' reminds drivers to be school safe
- MHP: Wrong-way driver leads to fatal I-22 accident
- MHP investigates Alcorn motorcycle crash
- Calhoun County collision kills ATV driver
- Driver killed in Monroe Co. collision identifed
- Train collision sends truck driver to hospital
- MHP's Thanksgiving holiday enforcement period begins Wednesday