TUPELO, Miss. (WTVA) – Three community colleges from northeast Mississippi have been named to a list recognizing the nation’s top community colleges.
The three are Itawamba Community College, Northeast Mississippi Community College and East Mississippi Community College.
They are all eligible to compete for the 2019 Aspen Prize for Community College Excellence and $1 million in prize funds.
The prize is awarded every two years.
The Aspen Prize recognizes institutions with outstanding achievements in four areas: learning; certificate and degree completion; employment and earning; and high levels of access and success for minority and low-income students.
The top 10 finalists for the 2019 Aspen Prize will be named in May 2018. The Aspen Institute will then conduct site visits to each of the finalists and collect additional quantitative data, including employment and earning data.
A distinguished prize jury will select a grand prize winner, finalists with distinction and rising star(s) in spring 2019.
- Local community colleges named to Top 150 list
- List of local storm shelters
- Local schools named 'Great Colleges to Work For'
- Local educators named finalists for state's top awards
- Rienzi native named president of Mississippi College
- Local leaders included in list of top 50 most influential in state
- Mississippi names top teacher and school administrator
- Ole Miss' Brown, MSU trio named to preseason watch lists
- Mississippi governor's budget has free community college
- University and community college enrollment falls slightly