COLUMBUS, Miss. (WTVA) – A police officer will have to wait a bit longer to know what punishment she faces, if any.
The city council was scheduled to discuss recent actions by Officer Toni Howard at Tuesday night’s meeting but Howard’s attorney from Jackson couldn’t attend.
Officer Howard reportedly threatened to use her taser on an inmate last month. She had transported the inmate to Baptist Memorial Hospital Golden Triangle. That is when she pointed her taser at the man but never used it. The inmate was handcuffed in a hospital room at the time.
The city isn’t saying much about what happened but it was all caught on body camera video. That video is not being released because of possible HIPAA violations.
The council will discuss and Chief Lewis will make a recommendation about what should happen at the first city council meeting in November.
Another officer was suspended for 10 days for not turning on his body camera video during a traffic stop.
There were four officers sworn in at Tuesday night's city council meeting. Those are officers Devin Michael Strong, Isaiah Smith, Raymond Cyr and John Tulipan.
- Columbus officer suspended for 10 days, other officer case to be determined
- REPORT: Columbus police officer fired, other suspended
- Officers respond to Columbus wreck
- Columbus chief financial officer resigns
- Man arrested for biting Columbus police officer
- City takes action against Columbus police officers
- Columbus police officer injured in wreck
- Columbus Police: Sharp-eyed officer makes arrest
- MBI investigating officer-involved shooting in Columbus
- Columbus city employee suspended for "unbecoming" conduct