TUPELO, Miss. (WTVA) – U.S. Highway 45 Alternate in Lowndes County will be renamed the “Tom Goode Memorial Highway” in honor of a native son.
Transportation Commissioner Mike Tagert made the announcement.
During the 2016 Regular Session, the Mississippi Legislature passed Senate Bill 2309, which made the designation.
The bill also stated the Mississippi Department of Transportation (MDOT) would “erect and maintain appropriate signs along and approaching the segment of Mississippi Highway 45.”
Goode passed away on Oct. 8, 2015, at the age of 76. He was a staple in the “Golden Triangle” football scene.
Goode was a Kodak All-American at Mississippi State University (MSU) and was the first player in the university’s history to play in and win a Super Bowl.
Later, he became a coach which carried him back to MSU, as well as other SEC schools and East Mississippi Community College (EMCC) and Oak Hill Academy.
Goode was inducted in the MSU Sports Hall of Fame, the Mississippi Sports Hall of Fame, the Mississippi Junior College Coaches Hall of Fame and the EMCC Sports Hall of Fame.
- Highway renamed to honor local football great
- Bruce renames police and fire departments
- Ida Street could soon be renamed
- Olympic champion honored with Mississippi highway sign
- Local schools named 'Great Colleges to Work For'
- Local educators honored for humanities instruction
- Local youths honored for volunteer work
- Local former police officer honored in Washington
- Town & Tower Club honors local leaders
- Local FBI agent honored with national award