ABERDEEN, Miss. (WTVA) - The Monroe County Sheriff's Office is investigating a possible scam after fraudulent checks were cashed in Aberdeen.
Sheriff Cecil Cantrell said investigators recovered a dozen checks worth approximately $90,000.
According to the sheriff, the checks were discovered at Jesse’s Package Store and were believed to have been rapid refund checks.
"You can make a phone call to give them an ID number,” Cantrell said. “The whole 10 yards; it's really convincing. I can really see how somebody would do it.”
Deputies were able to arrest a suspect on Tuesday at the store when the person was coming to pick up some of the money.
The suspect's identity and possible charges have not been shared at this time.
Cantrell said more arrests are likely on the way.
- 12 fraudulent checks discovered in Monroe County
- Monroe County warns of check scam
- Welfare check discovers stolen firearm, arrest made
- Sixth arrest made for Monroe County check scam
- Starkville police warn of fraudulent IRS calls
- How to watch out for fraudulent charities
- Oxford police, Facebook investigate fraudulent account
- Lee County School District gives warning about fraudulent calls
- UPDATE: 3 arrested, 9 still wanted for Monroe check scam
- UPDATE: Eight now arrested for Monroe check scam