INDIANOLA, Miss. (WTVA) - A third inmate has died this week at the Mississippi State Penitentiary at Parchman.
Sunflower County Coroner Heather Burton confirmed one inmate died and his cellmate was injured in a Friday morning altercation with each other.
Burton initially said both inmates were stabbed. However, she later confirmed the deceased inmate did not sustain any stab wounds but did sustain a neck injury.
The incident happened around 3 a.m. in Unit 29 on Friday.
She later identified the deceased inmate as Denorris Howell, 36.
Burton later released more details about the three deaths. Open this link to view her statement.
This is the fifth inmate death across the state this week.
The Mississippi Department of Corrections (MDOC) issued the following statement on Thursday:
The Mississippi Department of Corrections continues a statewide lockdown for the safety of the public, staff, and inmates.
Therefore, movement of inmates is limited to only emergencies. As a result, there will be no visitation this weekend.
Interview and screening for potential correctional officers on Saturday at the three state prisons won’t be affected.
All available resources are being used to address disturbances occurring around the state. The MDOC is being responsive in investigating the violence.
Because of the active investigations, the agency is limited in providing additional information. Reporting allegations is irresponsible and could further jeopardize the safety of officers, inmates, and the public.
The safety of staff, inmates, and the public is always the agency’s focus.
The MDOC will keep the public informed as information becomes available that does not further jeopardize the safety of its institutions.
- Fifth inmate killed in Mississippi this week
- Mississippi inmate dies in Parchman
- Mississippi inmate's death last week was 76th in 2018
- Mississippi has at least 15th inmate death in recent weeks
- Mississippi prison investigates deaths of 2 inmates
- Mississippi prison inmate dies in Pascagoula hospital
- Two inmates die at Mississippi State Pentiteniary
- Inmate accused of killing Clay County cellmate
- Inmate with Lee County ties escapes in South Mississippi
- Survey: Poor Mississippi inmates wait long for trial