TUPELO, Miss. (WTVA) - About 55 athletes swam at the Tupelo Aquatic Center hoping to secure their spot for a bigger competition in Seattle later this summer.
Teams from Tupelo, Desoto County and Team Mississippi competed.
One of the swimmers, Jeff Strickland, felt it was a motivating experience.
“This is my first time actually doing a swim meet for the City of Tupelo. It’s a challenge and it gives people that are mentally challenged more than I am something to look forward to. I've enjoyed it the whole time and I am not stopping,. I’m back and they are not going to get rid of me again.”
- Tupelo Special Olympic swim meet
- Special Olympic Games torch lit in Tupelo
- Tupelo athlete selected to compete in Special Olympics USA Games
- Tupelo's Hutson wins gold at Special Olympics USA Games
- Swimming competition honors Tupelo teen killed saving girlfriend
- Special Olympic athletes honored in Lee County
- CREATE hosts annual meeting in Tupelo
- Neighborhood meetings scheduled after Tupelo tornado
- School surprises student with invitation to USA Special Olympics
- Lee County athletes to compete nationally in Special Olympics