Basketball legend Kobe Bryant, 41, died Sunday morning in Los Angeles, two separate sources told CNN.
TMZ reported Bryant was aboard a helicopter that crashed in Calabasas, California.
Five people were killed the crash on a hillside in Calabasas, the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department said. There were no survivors, the Los Angeles County Fire Department said.
The sheriff's department received reports of the downed aircraft just after 1 p.m. ET (10 a.m PT), officials said in a tweet.
Flames have been extinguished, the department said.
Calabasas is about 30 miles west of Los Angeles.
- Kobe Bryant dies at age 41 in California
- Kobe Bryant Fast Facts
- Kobe Bryant, NBA superstar and future Hall of Famer, is dead at 41
- Fathers honoring Kobe Bryant with #girldad
- Home and Away actor Ben Unwin has died aged 41
- Pilot: The mystery of Kobe Bryant's chopper crash
- Devin Lima of LFO dies at 41
- Bush 41 AG top candidate to replace Sessions
- An NBA legend who was also a cultural icon: Kobe Bryant
- Federal authorities investigating cause of helicopter crash that killed Kobe Bryant and 8 others