An off-duty Los Angeles Police Department officer shot and killed a man and injured two other people in a Corona, California, Costco after the man attacked him, according to authorities.
The officer, who has not been identified, was shopping with his family in the store Friday evening and holding his young child when a man he did not know "assaulted" him, according to a news release from Corona Police Department Public Information Officer Tobias Kouroubacalis.
The release said the attack was unprovoked.
The officer fired his weapon, killing 32-year-old Kenneth French and injuring two of French's family members. The injured relatives were taken to local hospitals, where they are in critical condition, Corona police said.
The officer suffered minor injuries and has been released from the hospital. His child was not injured in the incident, the news release said.
"The Department has initiated an Administrative Investigation and is working with the Corona Police Department to learn more about the incident," Los Angeles police said in a statement.
Officers arriving to the scene on Friday initially believed there was an active shooter, Lt. Jeff Edwards of the Corona police said. Panic broke out as people tried to flee the store, leaving some injured in the scuffle.
Many left their personal items -- purses, cellphones, and backpacks -- at the store in an effort to get out quickly. Corona Police are now trying to find their rightful owners.
- An off-duty officer killed a man who attacked him in a Costco while he was holding a child, police say
- Man killed after an alleged argument and attack on an off-duty officer in Costco was nonverbal, cousin says
- Glendale Costco worker surprises shoppers
- Costco: Retail's overlooked holiday winner
- How Costco thrives in the Amazon era
- Costco is succeeding despite retail woes
- How Kirkland Signature powers Costco's success
- Kentucky off-duty officer shot and killed by police impersonator, authorities say
- Georgia police officer killed in the line of duty honored -- by jail inmates
- Gary Cohn is out; Europe tariff response; Costco earnings