Former professional gamer Carlos Rodriguez says the accessibility of playing League of Legends (LoL) puts it "ahead of the curve" in comparison to traditional sports.
LoL is already the most popular esport on the market, with more than 100 million players worldwide and with an ever-increasing audience.
Business and industry sectors
Business, economy and trade
Computer science and information technology
Software and applications
Rodriguez says the game's low-barrier to entry will only see its popularity grow.
"It only takes you to launch your PC, launch League of Legends and play a game. It takes you two minutes to do that and in two minutes you are already competing," he said to CNN's Alex Thomas, in an exclusive broadcast interview.
"There are not many sports that allow you to compete with such ease."
Now the owner of G2 Esports, Rodriguez is excited for the launch of the League of Legends European Champion (LEC) which hopes to develop long-lasting ties with a multi-generational fan base.
Unlike traditional sports, LoL started globally. Only now is the game's publisher -- Riot -- looking to build its roots.
"The future is about stabilizing the eco-system and growing as a sport globally," said Alban Dechelotte, Riot's Head of Business Development EU.
"We are already global, we are fundamentally digital and 85% of our audience is under 25 years old."
More than 200 million people watched this year's League of Legends World Championship Grand Final but Dechelotte believes this figure is only going to rise.
The industry is hoping to do this by bucking the trend of traditional broadcasting.
"We are not digital first, we are digital only. We have very few television companies that cover it and most of them request exclusivity," he said.
"So we prefer to avoid it because we don't want to force our audience to go to the TV when they want to watch online."
Watch the whole of CNN's exclusive interview on the launch of League of Legends European Championship in the video at the top of the page
- Accessibility puts esports 'ahead of the curve,' says former professional gamer
- BET praised for 'Killer Curves'
- Top WH aide says Haley got 'ahead of the curve' with sanctions announcement
- A-Rod on esports: 'It's going to be a monster'
- Jacksonville shooting suspect specifically targeted fellow Madden gamers
- Tencent will check the ages of all its gamers
- Former professional wrestler dies at 70
- What is eSports? A look at an explosive billion-dollar industry
- Zaha Hadid: The enduring influence of the 'Queen of the Curve'
- What's a flattening yield curve and why it may be scary