Chef Garima Arora just became the first Indian woman to win a Michelin star.
Her Bangkok restaurant Gaa, which opened in May 2017, quickly earned praise for Arora's tasty and artful mix of Indian and Thai cuisine and has now earned one coveted Michelin star in the Michelin Guide Bangkok, Phuket and Phang-Nga 2019.
Business and industry sectors
Business, economy and trade
Continents and regions
Food and beverage industry
Food and drink
Restaurant and food service industry
Bangkok travel guide
Population and demographics
One popular dish on her tasting menu brings together grilled unripe jackfruit, roti and homemade pickles. Another combines blue crab and macadamia milk.
Responding to news of the Michelin star, Arora thanked her team via Instagram. "Each one of them persevered. believed and always showed up," she wrote.
Arora grew up in Mumbai and drew inspiration early on from her Punjabi family, particularly her father, who loved bringing home exotic foods.
She started her career as a journalist but was quickly drawn to cooking. She studied at Le Cordon Bleu in Paris before working her way through stints with the UK's Gordon Ramsay, René Redzepi of Noma in Copenhagen, and Indian chef Gaggan Anand.
Gaggan and Gaa are now two of 27 Michelin-starred restaurants in Bangkok and Phuket recognized in the new guide. Ten new spots made the list including Gaa, Canvas, PRU and Suan Thip.
"This year's guide is a reflection of the growing talent in Thailand's culinary scene with many new restaurants added to the selection, including 13 specializing in Thai food, reinforcing Thailand's reputation as a go-to destination for gastronomy," said Gwendal Poullennec, International Director of the Michelin Guides, in a statement on their website.
- Chef Arora: India's first woman with a Michelin star
- 10 hotels with Michelin-starred restaurants
- UK restaurant The Checkers gives back its Michelin star
- Chefs remember Anthony Bourdain
- Tokyo holds onto its crown as city with the most Michelin stars
- Not a great female chef. A great chef, period.
- Michelin and GM are working on a puncture-proof tire
- Amy Schumer marries chef Chris Fischer
- Chef Edward Lee: Bourdain changed my life
- Famous Nashville chef's simple side dish