1. Tech rout: Tech stocks were hit hard Tuesday amid concerns about slowing demand for Apple iPhones.
The slump was triggered by a 5% slide in Apple (AAPL) shares on Monday after supplier Lumentum (LITE) cut its earnings and sales forecast because of weak demand. JPMorgan also cut its target price on Apple's stock.
2. Amazon decides: Amazon has chosen New York City and Northern Virginia to split duty as its second headquarters, according to the Wall Street Journal. The official announcement could come as early as Tuesday.
The development projects will bring the cities a huge infusion of jobs and tax revenue, but are almost certain to draw fire from critics concerned about their impact on infrastructure and property values.
3. Global market overview: US stock futures were pointing higher.
US crude futures dropped 2% to trade at $58.70 per barrel. Crude is on track for 12 consecutive days of losses, the longest slide since oil futures trading was introduced on the NYMEX in March 1983. The historic slump knocked oil into a bear market — barely a month after it hit four-year highs.
Shares in Vodafone (VOD) jumped almost 6% after the UK telecoms firm said it would slash costs and create a virtual company to manage its towers. Vodafone also froze its dividend.
5. Coming this week:
Tuesday — Aramark (ARMK), Home Depot (HD) and Tyson Foods (TSN) earnings
Wednesday — Blue Apron (APRN), Progressive (PGR), Cisco Systems (CSCO), Gap (GPS), and Macy's (M) earnings; Inflation numbers for October
Thursday — Nvidia (NVDA), Nordstrom (JWN), Walmart (WMT), and Manchester United (MANU) earnings; October retail sales
Friday — Williams-Sonoma (WSM) earnings
- Amazon HQ2: who really wins?
- See Amazon's HQ2 picks
- Amazon's HQ2: Experts reveal their predictions
- The disturbing part about Amazon's HQ2 competition
- The genius strategy behind Amazon's HQ2 search
- Amazon keeps everyone guessing about HQ2
- Everything we know about Amazon's HQ2 search
- What Amazon HQ2 says about American inequality
- Will Atlanta's airport outage hurt its Amazon HQ2 bid?
- Here are the top 20 cities for Amazon HQ2