After days of watching the Mega Millions jackpot grow to a staggering $1.6 billion, the numbers for the biggest lottery in US history are out.
The winning numbers drawn Tuesday night were 5, 28, 62, 65, 70, and the Mega Ball was 5. A one-time cash option is estimated at $913 million.
Amusements and gaming
Leisure and lifestyle
The current US lottery jackpot record is $1.586 billion, split by three winning Powerball tickets in January 2016.
And speaking of Powerball: That game's next drawing is Wednesday, for an estimated jackpot of $620 million.
That puts the jackpots for the nation's two largest lotteries at more than $2.2 billion.
"It's hard to overstate how exciting this is -- but now it's really getting fun," Gordon Medenica, lead director of the Mega Millions Group and director of Maryland Lottery and Gaming, said over the weekend.
Mega Millions has already smashed its own jackpot record, which was $656 million, shared by winners in three states, in March 2012.
The nation's largest lottery jackpots have rolled for a few months.
No one has won the Mega Millions jackpot since July 24 when 11 co-workers in California split $543 million. Powerball has climbed since there was a winner in New York on August 11.
Each Powerball or Mega Millions ticket is $2. The games are played in 44 states, Washington, D.C., and the US Virgin Islands. Powerball is also played in Puerto Rico.
- Mega Millions winning numbers are ...
- Powerball + Mega Millions = $690 million
- Winning Mega Millions ticket sold in California
- Mystery Surrounds Winning $533 Million Mega Millions Ticket In N.J.
- These are your odds of winning Powerball or Mega Millions
- Mega Millions win stirs small South Carolina town
- Winning mega millions ticket sold in South Carolina
- Mega Millions and Powerball jackpots total $420M
- New Year's numbers drawn in the eighth largest jackpot in the history of Mega Millions
- Powerball winning numbers are ...