Authorities in Maine have confirmed that remains of a woman found Friday are those of a teacher who had been missing for almost a week.
The body of Kristin Westra was discovered near her home in a wooded area in North Yarmouth, Maine, the Cumberland County Sheriff's Department said. Authorities said Sunday they have determined she died by suicide.
Westra, 47, disappeared Monday in the Portland suburb of 3,600 residents.
"My heart is crushed today," her husband, Jay Westra, wrote on Facebook on Friday after the remains were found.
- Police find body of missing Maine teacher
- Body found near where Maine teacher went missing
- Vigil held for missing teacher after body found
- Officers find body of woman missing for eight days
- Investigators find body of missing pregnant woman in Mississippi
- Police in South Carolina find body of missing 6-year-old Faye Swetlik
- Bodies of missing boaters recovered
- Missing Florida diver's body found
- Remains found in Maine woods are of missing teacher, authorities confirm
- Lion Air crash: Divers find main fuselage, hear signal from missing 'black box,' officials say