A man sexually assaulted a boy inside a library in Riverside, authorities announced on Monday.
Juan Francisco Palacios, a 29-year-old Riverside transient, was caught on camera watching the 6-year-old boy walk into the bathroom alone on July 18, according the Riverside Police Department.
Palacios allegedly followed inside and assaulted him.
The assailant quickly fled and ran through a shopping center toward University Avenue, police said.
The victim's father, who was at the library with the two children when the crime occurred, alerted library staffers when he learned about the incident, officials added.
Officers came to the scene but were not able to find the assailant, whom detectives soon identified as Palacios, according to the Police Department.
At 3:36 p.m. on Sunday, police responded to the Riverside Public Library after receiving a call about a person who matched the suspect's description, the agency said.
They found Palacios and arrested him on suspicion of sexual assault against a minor under 10 and probation violation for possession of child pornography, the Police Department said. He was required to register as a sex offender.
Anyone with information can contact Detective Daniel Mercadefe at 951-353-7120 or firstname.lastname@example.org, or Detective Stacie Ontko at 951-353-7121 or email@example.com.
- Police: Man Sexually Assaults 6-Year-Old Boy Inside Library
- Deputies' stray bullet kills 6-year-old Texas boy, sheriff says
- Pygmy rattlesnake bites 6-year-old boy in foot
- 6-year-old boy's wheelchair stolen from Brandon driveway
- Arizona man killed a 6-year-old boy trying to 'cast the demon out,' police say
- Hero 10-year-old boy follows man who took his 6-year-old sister from Brooklyn school
- PD: Man who assaulted mother found hiding inside church
- 6-year-old being sold amid severe drought
- Meridian Township Police new approach to sexual assault cases
- UK police investigate 11 sexual assault allegations against Harvey Weinstein