NBA legend Shaquille O'Neal is stepping up to help out the family of a woman fatally shot in the parking lot of a Clayton County school on May 18.
O'Neal says he'll pay for the funeral of the unidentified 40 year-old woman who was shot and killed in the parking lot of Mt. Zion High School following a graduation ceremony.
Two other people were shot during the incident.
Clayton County Sheriff Victor Hill says O'Neal contacted him shortly after the fatal shooting and asked if the family needed assistance.
"The length of his heart far exceeds his height," said Sheriff Hill of Shaq. "We never ask him for anything, but when he sees a need, he is Johnny on the spot!"
Dr. Morcease J. Beasley, Superintendent of Clayton County Public Schools, later released this statement on the fatal shooting.
"While our school district community is rightfully concerned about the incident, it is disappointing that it has overshadowed and diminished a positive memory for an exceptional group of graduating seniors. Violence of any kind is not tolerated on a district campus nor at a district event."
- Shaquille O'Neal to pay for funeral of woman fatally shot in high school parking lot
- Shaquille O'Neal joins effort to help pay for Jazmine Barnes' funeral
- Shaquille O'Neal's sister dies of cancer; his co-hosts pay tribute
- Son of Ryan O'Neal, Farrah Fawcett accused of crime spree in Los Angeles
- Police: Officers Fatally Shoot Man Wanted for Probation Violation at 7-11 Parking Lot in Santa Ana
- Friend of Late Vietnam Vet Speaks Out, Pays for Funeral
- 2 boys shot dead while sitting in a van at an elementary school parking lot, police say
- Cougar blamed for fatal attack on woman in Oregon park
- Pay certain Las Vegas parking tickets with school supplies
- Officer and bystander fatally shot near Boston