In the wake of the Florida school shooting, the Gwinnett County sheriff's department is offering teachers gun safety classes.
The department says it wants to support teachers in any way they can in regard to their personal safety outside the classroom.
The class is being offered at the end of March.
The department isn't saying they'll train teachers for the classrooms, but simply giving gun safety. But the idea of arming teachers is being proposed, including by President Trump.
However, District 13 Democratic Congressman David Albert Scott says he has a better idea.
"My suggestion...would be to put our National Guard to work," said Scott. "That's what they are there for. Whenever we have an emergency, we bring in our National Guard. That will give an immediate presence. They're trained for firearms, they're visible with the firearms."
Scott also says he's a lead sponsor of a bill that will permanently ban assault weapons. He attended a Town Hall Saturday on the value of public services and unions in Atlanta.
- Gwinnett County Sheriff's Department to offer gun safety classes for teachers
- Gwinnett Co. SWAT standoff ends in suicide
- Teen girls say fake cop targeted them in Gwinnett County
- Gun store to host firearm-safety class for kids
- Suburban gun range offering free training for teachers
- Teacher accidentally fires gun and injures student during safety lesson
- Woman's body found in food court of Gwinnett Place Mall Read more: http://www.cbs46.com/story/37173754/womans-body-found-in-food-court-of-gwinnett-place-mall#ixzz538bnlHw3
- Yale offers free 'happiness' class online
- Fannin County to allow teachers to carry guns in classrooms
- Teacher who fired gun during safety lesson, hurting student, to step down