Breathe everyone. 2017 is (almost) OVER. There's so much to look forward to next year. We'll get to that in a second. But first, here's a look back at the year that was.
If 2016 was the revenge of the forgotten-(Trump's victory, Brexit, and the rise of populist nationalism), 2017 was the year of boiling antagonisms: a year that didn't just shake things up; it blew them up.
Feminism was Webster's word of the year. And rightly so, this was the year when women, who'd been speaking out for forever, were finally heard.
Of course, 2017 was President Trump's first year in office. And it revealed a political landscape deeply fractured along lines of race, generation, class and geography. -Each side appeared-increasingly uncomprehending of the other -- and increasingly dubious that it's possible, or even desirable, to bridge their differences.
Yes, it was a year when we laughed, we cried, we cry-laughed and, when words failed us, we relied on the sage power of GIFs.
It's no surprise the most popular GIF of the year is an expression of confused, slightly offended disbelief.
Before you say goodbye, here's a month-by-month look back at the year in-news, politics and sports -- in pictures. (Trust us, once you start scrolling, you won't be able to stop)
So, what's on tap for 2018: Who'll win the Super Bowl? Will the Dow keep climbing? -Where will the President's approval rating end up? Here are some predictions
But outside of all the serious stuff, there's also-a ton of-existence-friendly events, innovations and observances happening-next year. The Winter Olympics! A royal wedding! A headless petting cat! Here's our-list of the 18 things we're most looking forward to in 2018.
Have a Happy New Year.
- Buh-bye 2017. Well, hello 2018!
- Michelle Obama on 2017 inauguration: 'Bye, Felicia'
- Michelle Obama leaving WH: 'Bye Felicia'
- Michelle Obama on leaving WH: 'Bye, Felicia'
- Bye bye, Bei Bei: Beloved giant panda headed from DC to China in a private jet
- You thought 2017 was a wild ride? Brace for 2018
- Thought 2017 was bad? 2018 could be much worse
- 2017 politics, GIF-wrapped
- A tearful good-bye as Chris Cuomo leaves 'New Day' for 'Prime Time'
- The 2017 epic architecture quiz