Neighbor comforts children displaced by west-side house fire

Four children, all left alone, were able to escape a fire at a house on Indianapolis' west side Saturday afternoon....

Posted: Dec 11, 2017 6:13 PM
Updated: Dec 11, 2017 6:13 PM

Four children, all left alone, were able to escape a fire at a house on Indianapolis' west side Saturday afternoon.

The fire happened at a house on the 5500 block of Jackson Street at around noon. No parents were home at the time, just the four children.

The Wayne Township Fire Department said a cigarette ignited a mattress, starting the fire.

The family's neighbor, Esther Masters, comforted the children when she saw them sitting on the ground, crying.

"I could tell that they were cold," Masters said. "The girl said that she would like some socks, her feet were wet."

Masters found some socks for her in some of the things she had originally bought as Christmas gifts.

All four children made it out of the fire safely. The fire left about $50,000 worth of damage, and a family without a home for the holidays.

"The parents were at work and they had no control over it," Masters said. "They come home and their house is on fire. "Whenever I see someone in need, I try to help them if I can."

Article Comments

Tupelo
Scattered Clouds
83° wxIcon
Hi: 84° Lo: 72°
Feels Like: 89°
Columbus
Broken Clouds
84° wxIcon
Hi: 85° Lo: 72°
Feels Like: 94°
Oxford
Broken Clouds
79° wxIcon
Hi: 82° Lo: 69°
Feels Like: 82°
Starkville
Scattered Clouds
84° wxIcon
Hi: 84° Lo: 68°
Feels Like: 91°
WTVA Radar
WTVA Temperatures
WTVA Severe Weather