Four children, all left alone, were able to escape a fire at a house on Indianapolis' west side Saturday afternoon.
The fire happened at a house on the 5500 block of Jackson Street at around noon. No parents were home at the time, just the four children.
The Wayne Township Fire Department said a cigarette ignited a mattress, starting the fire.
The family's neighbor, Esther Masters, comforted the children when she saw them sitting on the ground, crying.
"I could tell that they were cold," Masters said. "The girl said that she would like some socks, her feet were wet."
Masters found some socks for her in some of the things she had originally bought as Christmas gifts.
All four children made it out of the fire safely. The fire left about $50,000 worth of damage, and a family without a home for the holidays.
"The parents were at work and they had no control over it," Masters said. "They come home and their house is on fire. "Whenever I see someone in need, I try to help them if I can."
- Neighbor comforts children displaced by west-side house fire
- Neighbor rescued woman from house fire
- Neighbors spot children on roof in large West Bloomfield condo fire
- 'West Side Story' remake finds its Maria
- Unconventional classrooms prioritizing student comfort
- Fire displaces dozens from Cleveland apartment complex
- Neighbor says Nikolas Cruz always showed a worrying dark side
- Quick-thinking neighbor rescues woman from house fire
- Rita Moreno joins 'West Side Story' movie remake
- Dog helps comfort kids in "scary" courtrooms