TUPELO, Miss. (WTVA) - A local cosmetology school is helping students stay a cut above the rest in the health and beauty industry.
The Tupelo Academy of Cosmetology is making sure the people who help us look our best are certified.
The program takes approximately 12 to 16 months to complete, and students learn several skills.
Lead instructor Chandra Pannell said students don't need prior experience to enroll.
"We've had students that have come in who have never done hair or nails, and they leave here with a new skill set, as well as life lessons that they can always use", she said.
Chelsey Gates is a freshman student who enrolled in the program two weeks ago.
She has already learned how to do finger waves on a client, and she's passionate about pursuing a career in cosmetology.
"I've been running from it for years. My family told me I should do it, and it was prophesied for me to do it. I'm just happy to be here", Gates said.
She is on a path to graduate in October 2020, and she plans to become the owner of your favorite salon/nail bar.
The Tupelo Academy of Cosmetology offers services to the public on Tuesday through Friday. Free haircuts are offered every Wednesday.
- Skilled to Work: Tupelo Academy of Cosmetology
- Skilled to Work: Robotics
- Skilled to Work: Collision repair at Tupelo High School
- Skilled to Work: Engineering at Tupelo High School
- Skilled to Work: Tupelo High School construction program
- Skilled to Work: Furniture manufacturing
- Skilled To Work: Industrial Maintenance
- Skilled to Work: Hospitality management
- Skilled to Work: Radiologic Technology
- Skilled to Work: ServSafe certification