TUPELO, Miss. (WTVA) -- Scruggs Lawn and Garden Assistant Manager, Kole Rogers, said he's been selling more of one item in particular this winter season: space heaters.
"They've been flying off the shelf, I mean, I've never sold so many heaters since I've been here," Rogers said.
Rogers said he sold more than 20 heaters in the span of a few hours Friday.
He said the store has yet to run out like many others have in the area.
"We keep a good stock of them all the time, because we're ready for when things like this happen," Rogers said.
Rogers said there is a specific type of heater most shoppers look for.
"When it's real cold, they look for kerosene heaters in case their power goes out," Rogers said
He said kerosene is also in high demand.
"I mean one gallon of kerosene will probably burn for a good 10 to 15 hours on one of these kerosene heaters," Rogers said.
Even though these instant heat sources are convenient, they can also be dangerous.
Saltillo Fire Department Chief Deputy Chris Jenkins said they are the cause of many of their calls.
"During this time in this area we go to quite a few," Jenkins said. "We had one just recently that we went to. They lost pretty much their whole home due to it."
Jenkins said space heaters are meant to be supplemental heat and are not designed to heat an entire house.
He said that all people need to remember to turn them off when they are not in use.
"Make sure it's unplugged and out of the way," Jenkins said. "Don't leave clothes hanging nearby."
He said to be sure to read all heater warning labels.