LEE COUNTY, Miss. (WTVA) - Two deadly house fires in the area are under investigation.
One happened in Saltillo and the other took place in Amory.
Those fires, along with a business fire in Tupelo on Saturday, all bring fire safety plans to the forefront.
With those weekend fires and the onset of cooler weather, fire officials say now is the perfect time for home owners to be reminded of basic information that could save a person's life.
Some young people enjoying a day off from school took time to tell us what they've been told if a fire happens at their home.
Cameron Rauch of Verona said, "They told me if there's a fire, I'd go outside. If my windows are down, I'd get my bed sheet, pull up the window and break the glass."
Ethan Turner of Saltillo said, "If there's a fire, I'd come outside and meet in one place."
Rehearsing and knowing a fire escape plan for your home is important.
Home owners should also remember that working smoke detectors are one of the best ways to alert you there is a fire.
Fire Marshal Jason Cross with the Tupelo Fire Department said, "If you have battery operated smoke detectors, be sure to change batteries twice a year when the time changes. If you missed the most recent time, there's no time like the present to change those batteries."
Also, when turning on heaters for the first time this year, firemen encourage you to get a professional to make sure its in working order.
Always use extreme caution with space heaters.
Cross said, "Of course if you're going to use space heaters, don't use them anywhere near combustibles. Don't use them anywhere near flammables. Make sure you always attend those and never leave them unattended."
Many fire departments offer free installation of smoke detectors, including the city of Tupelo for its residents.