HOUSTON, Miss. (WTVA) -- A Chickasaw County family is without a home.
Fire swept through their County Road 24 home around midnight Tuesday.
Thorn Volunteer Fire Department Assistant Chief David Coleman says when they arrived on the scene, he realized the home was where his nephew lived.
Charles Coleman says he came home from work and turned on the stove to fry some chicken and walked to another part of the house for a brief period of time.
"I walked back just long enough to wake my wife up and I came back in here and I heard crackling, so I rushed in here. I pushed open the swinging door and as soon as I pushed it open, flames hit me in the face," Charles Coleman said.
"Stove fires are bad-kitchen fires. We get them pretty frequent. They're dangerous. Some people use them for heat. It's terrible," Assistant Chief Coleman said.
Chief Coleman says it's never a good idea to turn on a stove and walk away.