OKTIBBEHA COUNTY, Miss. (WTVA) — At 2:26 a.m. Tuesday, firefighters received a call about a structural fire on Blackjack Road outside of Starkville.
When firefighters arrived, there was smoke coming from the residence, but all the family members had made it out safely.
"Thank goodness to a smoke detector being in the house. There was only one, but it worked. It woke the family up," said East Oktibbeha Volunteer Fire Department Chief Greg Ball.
The chief went on to say that the house only suffered interior damage from smoke and heat.
After the family called 911, firefighters were able to put the flames out quickly.
It was being prepared that saved the family.
"The lady said she was asleep and said that the smoke detector woke her up, so that was the main reason we didn't have any fatalities this morning is the smoke detector. Because one of the girls was asleep close to the kitchen and her mother had to wake her up, we definitely could've had some fatalities in this one," continued Ball.
Measures such as checking wires, extension cords and monitoring open flames come first.
"Then, of course, the second line of defense besides prevention is to ensure that you do have adequate fire notification or a fire problem. Then get out and let us worry about the rest of it," said Oktibbeha County Fire Coordinator Kirk Rosenhan.
Mississippi has the second highest per capita rate for fire deaths, and fire officials want that to change.