HATTIESBURG, Miss. (AP) — Residents in southern Mississippi are marking the one-year anniversary of a devastating tornado that struck the area.
Hattiesburg is holding a prayer service and moment of silence to commemorate the 2017 tornado at 7 a.m. Sunday.
That service takes place at Eastside/Friendship Park.
William Carey University is also holding a service at Bass Memorial Chapel at 4 p.m. Sunday to mark the anniversary. The service will include a recovery update, student testimonies, music and prayer.
Just about every building on campus was damaged during the tornado that ripped through areas of Hattiesburg and nearby Petal on Jan. 21 of last year.
- Southern Mississippi marks tornado's one-year anniversary
- Kilmichael Tornado: One Year Later
- Tornado confirmed in Mississippi; some damage reported
- Tornado touches down in Mississippi, Louisiana
- Surveyors confirm 6 tornadoes Saturday in Mississippi
- Pearl Harbor - 76th Anniversary
- Surveyors confirm 3 more Mississippi tornadoes last week
- National Weather Service finds 8 tornadoes hit Mississippi
- Tornadoes Fast Facts
- GOP Rep. Mark Baker running for Mississippi attorney general