MOSS POINT, Miss. (AP) — Authorities say a Mississippi boy who was run over by his mother's car has died.
Jackson County Sheriff Mike Ezell tells WXXV-TV that 5-year-old Drayke Whittington died Sunday afternoon after Melissa Shields accidentally ran him over at a home in Moss Point.
Ezell says Drayke was hit after getting out of his mother's car to pick up Mardi Gras beads his sister had thrown out the window.
Ezell says Shields was unaware Drayke was out of the car when she backed up and struck him. Drayke died while being airlifted to a hospital.
No charges have been filed and the accident is under investigation.
- Sheriff: Boy killed, accidentally run over by mother's car
- Authorities: Boy, 7, accidentally shoots, kills self
- Sheriff: Girl, 12, stole mother's car, ran over deputy
- 4-year-old killed in accidental shooting after finding gun
- Mother charged in death of boy found in hotel freezer
- Mother faces charge after dead baby found in car's trunk
- Sheriff: 5-month-old boy left in bathtub dies
- Sheriff: Shots fired at deputy during car chase
- Sheriff: Deputy dragged by car stuns, shoots Alabama suspect
- Sheriff: Burned car with body belonged to missing woman