MOSS POINT, Miss. (AP) — Authorities say a Mississippi boy who was run over by his mother's car has died.
Jackson County Sheriff Mike Ezell tells WXXV-TV that 5-year-old Drayke Whittington died Sunday afternoon after Melissa Shields accidentally ran him over at a home in Moss Point.
Ezell says Drayke was hit after getting out of his mother's car to pick up Mardi Gras beads his sister had thrown out the window.
Ezell says Shields was unaware Drayke was out of the car when she backed up and struck him. Drayke died while being airlifted to a hospital.
No charges have been filed and the accident is under investigation.
- Sheriff: Boy killed, accidentally run over by mother's car
- Authorities: Boy, 7, accidentally shoots, kills self
- 4-year-old killed in accidental shooting after finding gun
- Mother charged in death of boy found in hotel freezer
- Mother faces charge after dead baby found in car's trunk
- Sheriff: Shots fired at deputy during car chase
- Sheriff: Deputy dragged by car stuns, shoots Alabama suspect
- Teens indicted in death of boy found in stolen car
- Mississippi top court refuses rehearing in sheriff's killing
- Sheriff: Man kills himself, his son, daughter and her fiancé