GREENWOOD, Miss. (WTVA) – Firefighters in the Mississippi Delta are still on the scene of a fire at a peanut storage facility.
Greenwood Fire Chief Marcus Banks says the blaze broke out around 7 a.m. on Friday.
The facility is located in the industrial park off Highway 82 in Leflore County.
Banks says a chemical reaction led to more than 25,000 bushels of peanuts to catch fire.
They are currently using foam to control the fire which has been contained to one area.
But the fire chief says the fire will not be completely out until this weekend.
- Peanut storage facility catches fire in Delta
- Organizer: 2017 Peanut Festival may have seen record crowds
- California utility to sell Mississippi, Alabama gas storage
- County in rural Mississippi Delta aims to boost recycling
- Tiny town in Mississippi Delta is almost broke, mayor says
- Mississippi to reopen Delta prison to hold release violators
- Record flood seen for Coldwater River in Mississippi Delta
- Election set for Mississippi House seat in parts of Delta
- Agency denies financing for housing in Mississippi Delta
- Mississippi joins Arkansas with 'Delta Rhythm & Bayous' road