VICKSBURG, Miss. (AP) — A filmed assault on an inmate put part of a Mississippi jail on lockdown.
News outlets report that Warren County Sheriff Martin Pace says a fight among inmates took place Wednesday afternoon and resulted in one cell block being put on lockdown.
A video originally posted to Snapchat shows the inmate being pulled out of a cell by other inmates and then being punched and kicked. Pace says he will not identify the assaulted inmate until the investigation is complete.
Authorities are investigating both the assault and how the cellphone used to record it made its way into the jail, which could result in a felony charge.
Pace says it's too early to tell who will face additional charges.
The attacked inmate was treated and released back into custody.
- Inmate assault puts cell block on lockdown in Mississippi
- Mississippi inmate dies in Parchman
- Sheriff: Inmate dies after being found unresponsive in cell
- Alabama death row inmate found dead inside cell
- Dems: Block corporate tax cuts, put money in transportation
- Mississippi puts bite into penalties against dogfighting
- Psychologist: Solitary confinement hurts Mississippi inmates
- Mississippi prison investigates deaths of 2 inmates
- Inmate, 57, dies in Mississippi prison
- Worker dies after fall from Mississippi cell tower