BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (AP) — Authorities say a former police recruit in Alabama has been charged with murder.
Birmingham police Sgt. Bryan Shelton tells AL.com 21-year-old Arron Jamal Gaines is charged in the Friday afternoon killing of 20-year-old Dietrich "Dede" Boone after an apparent domestic dispute.
Gaines was a Birmingham Police Academy recruit who resigned in January. He had been accused of conduct violations and left before being terminated.
Shelton says Gaines had gone to Boone's home for a confrontation and carried a handgun when he chased Boone off his porch.
Gaines surrendered to police roughly an hour after the shooting.
Jail records say Gaines was charged Sunday and remained held Monday on a $125,000 bond. It is unclear if he has a lawyer.
- Ex-police recruit charged with murder in Alabama shooting
- Man charged with murder in shooting at Alabama family party
- Police: Alabama woman charged with murder in mother's death
- Former North Alabama player charged in murder
- Man charged with murder in 2016 Alabama man's disappearance
- Capital murder charges dismissed for 2 Alabama men
- Woman charged with murder in fatal shooting with husband
- Teen charged in shooting death of Tennessee teen in Alabama
- Alabama woman facing rape charge
- Alabama police charge homeless man in 2 arson fires