UTICA, Miss. (AP) — Mississippi authorities say a nightclub patron has been shot and killed after shooting at the owner.
The Hinds County sheriff says that when owner Marvin Ross tried to break up a fight among patrons, one of them shot at him and missed— and Ross then shot the man twice.
Sheriff Victor Mason says in a news release that 33-year-old Alonzo Brown died at a hospital.
Mason says nobody else was injured.
He says Brown shot at Ross after the club owner turned off the music shortly after midnight Monday and told patrons of Evelyn's Place near Utica to "pull up their pants and stop fighting."
Mason says investigators will work with the Hinds County District Attorney's Office to present the case to a grand jury.
- Club owner shoots patron who shot at him in west Mississippi
- Greenville library patrons want the rain to go away
- Rural hospital in north Mississippi sold to new owner
- 2 suspects in Mississippi bar owner death arrested in Texas
- Survey reveals big problem for Mississippi business owners
- Historic home in Mississippi a financial burden, owners say
- Mississippi reports first West Nile virus human case of 2018
- Man charged in fatal central Mississippi shooting
- Officer shoots suspect at Mississippi gas station
- Mississippi authorities investigate fatal shooting by deputy