MERIDIAN, Miss. (AP) — An Alabama man is charged in the beating death of his girlfriend in Mississippi.
The Meridian Star reports 42-year-old Michael D. Portis is charged with murder in the death of 37-year-old Miranda K. Allen, who died Tuesday.
At a preliminary hearing Thursday, Meridian prosecutor Pam Bittick said Portis "beat and stomped and kicked" Allen to death.
Allen is believed to have been pregnant.
Meridian Police Detective Thomas Abate said Portis told investigators he found Allen walking around and beaten after he responded to her phone call for help. Abate said cellphone records and doctors disputed Portis' account.
Portis told the judge he did not murder Allen and said the lack of defensive wounds on his body proves his innocence.
He's being held on $500,000 bond.
- Alabama man charged in death of girlfriend in Mississippi
- Mississippi man charged in the death of his wife
- Man arrested in Mississippi carjacking, Alabama killing
- Alabama man held in daughter's death
- Man charged in southwest Mississippi dogfighting operation
- Man charged in fatal central Mississippi shooting
- Mississippi man charged with knowingly spreading HIV
- Alabama man faces 6,547 child porn charges
- Police: Alabama woman charged with murder in mother's death
- Teen charged in shooting death of Tennessee teen in Alabama