CENTREVILLE, Ala. (AP) — Law enforcement officers say a 4-year-old child was killed after apparently finding a gun in a home and accidentally shooting himself.
District Attorney Michael Jackson told The Tuscaloosa News that the boy died Thursday night in Bibb County after suffering a gunshot wound to the face.
Jackson told the newspaper that it appears that the child found the gun in the house and accidently shot himself as he was handling it. Law enforcement has not released the name of the child.
The district attorney said the case remains under investigation and an autopsy will be conducted.
Jackson called the incident a "tragic situation."
- 4-year-old killed in accidental shooting after finding gun
- Authorities: Boy, 7, accidentally shoots, kills self
- Sheriff: Boy killed, accidentally run over by mother's car
- Police: Girl, 6, hospitalized in accidental shooting, crash
- Proposal would erase 4-year limit on university contracts
- Mississippi has 4th highest gun death rate, analysis finds
- Man killed in parking shooting in Jackson
- Authorities say drowning in Mississippi lake was accidental
- 26-year-old Alabama man killed in shooting at a home
- Fatal shooting marks 100th killing this year in Alabama city