LEAKESVILLE, Miss. (AP) — Two south Mississippi teenagers are charged with sexually assaulting a then-2-year-old girl in 2016.
The Greene County Herald reports that 19-year-old Joseph Beckwith Jr. and 15-year-old Jeremiah Beckwith, both Leakesville residents, were arrested Tuesday.
Sheriff Stanley McLeod says the case was referred by the Mississippi Department of Human Services, which has custody of the girl. McLeod says the brothers confessed after new evidence was uncovered. He says the victim is related to the Beckwiths.
The older brother is charged with one count of statutory rape and two counts of child molestation. He's jailed on $100,000 bail. The younger brother is charged as an adult with two counts of statutory rape. He's jailed pending $25,000 bail.
It's unclear if either has a lawyer. None was present in court Wednesday.
- 2 Mississippi teens charged with sexually assaulting toddler
- Student files assault charge against Mississippi teacher
- Police: Mississippi teen fatally shot, 2 people charged
- Mississippi teen jailed on charges he threatened shooting
- Some Mississippi lawmakers trained against sexual harassment
- Teen Health Mississippi Hires Executive Director
- 2 charged in assault on officer
- Former deputy accused of domestic violence, sexual assault
- Inmate assault puts cell block on lockdown in Mississippi
- Teen charged in shooting death of Tennessee teen in Alabama