JACKSON, Miss. (WTVA/MSHOF) - Ole Miss quarterback Bo Wallace, Mississippi State cornerback Johnthan Banks and Southern Miss defensive lineman Jamie Collins lead a list of 10 nominees for the 17th annual Conerly Trophy, which honors Mississippi’s top college football player in 2012.
The trophy and outstanding player program, which is presented annually by C Spire Wireless and the Mississippi Sports Hall of Fame and Museum, will be awarded on Tuesday, Nov. 27 during a special reception and dinner program beginning at 5:30 p.m. at the museum in Jackson. All of the finalists and their coaches are expected to attend. Rick Cleveland, former Clarion Ledger long-time sports writer and Hall of Fame executive director, will serve as master of ceremonies.
Other nominees, as selected by a panel of media representatives from across the state, include:
· Alcorn State offensive lineman Cornelius Brown
· Belhaven cornerback and kick returner Isiah Wiley
· Delta State offensive tackle Kendall Hunter
· Jackson State wide receiver Rico Richardson
· Millsaps quarterback Garrett Pinciotti
· Mississippi College defensive back Keith Vallfranco
· Mississippi Valley State defensive tackle Robert Simpson
Now in its 17th year, the C Spire Conerly Trophy is named after the late Charlie Conerly – the only football inductee in the Mississippi Sports Hall of Fame who was an All-American at a Mississippi University, an NFL Rookie of the Year and NFL All-Pro member, and quarterbacked a team to a world championship. C Spire has served as the title sponsor of the Conerly Trophy since 1998.