BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (WTVA/SEC Athletics) - The Southeastern Conference on Monday announced its football Players of the Week, recognizing performances from the first week of the 2013 season. Among the Week 1 winners is Ole Miss freshman Laquon Treadwell.
Treadwell was named the SEC's Freshman of the Week on Monday.
The 6'3" wide receiver caught a school freshman record nine passes for 82 yards in the Rebels' win over Vanderbilt on Thursday.
He was the team's leading receiver and finished second in the game behind Vanderbilt's Jordan Matthews.
COMPLETE SEC PLAYERS OF THE WEEK
OFFENSIVE: Todd Gurley, Georgia
• Gurley ran for a career-high 154 yards on 12 carries (12.8 avg.) and two touchdowns during the Bulldogs’ 38-35 loss to #8 Clemson.
• His performance included a career-long 75-yard touchdown on his first touch of the game.
• This marked Gurley’s 10th 100-yard performance of his career as he helped Georgia accumulate 545 total yards on offense, including 222 on the ground.
DEFENSIVE: Robenson Therezie, Auburn
• Career high seven tackles and two interceptions
• He became the first Auburn player with two interceptions in a game since linebacker Josh Bynes in 2010 versus Arkansas.
• Therezie became the first Tiger secondary player with two picks in a game since Walt McFadden and T’Sharvan Bell had two each in the 2010 Outback win over Northwestern.
• His first INT came in the first quarter, the first of his career. It set up Auburn’s first touchdown of the game.
• Second interception came in the end zone to stop a Washington State scoring drive late in the game.
SPECIAL TEAMS: Christion Jones, Alabama
• Walter Camp National Offensive Player of the Week.
• Totaled 256 all-purpose yards with three touchdowns.
• Recorded his first punt return for a touchdown, going 72 yards for the score, with 13:21 to go in the first quarter. It was the first punt return for a touchdown by a Tide player since Marquis Maze went 83 yards against Arkansas on Sept. 24, 2011.
• According to the Alabama record books dating back to 1944, Jones is the first player to score two returns/non-offensive touchdowns in one game. In addition to the punt return score in the first quarter and a 94-yard kickoff return in the second quarter, Jones scored on a 38-yard reception in the third quarter.
• Jones is the first player in the FBS to have both a punt return for a touchdown and a kickoff return for a touchdown since 2006.
• Finished the day with 4 punt returns for 100 yards, 2 KO returns for 109 yards and two catches for 47 yards.
DEFENSIVE LINEMAN: Trey Flowers, Arkansas
• Recorded 4.5 tackles, 3.0 for loss including 2.0 sacks, with two quarterback hurries and one forced fumble in 34-14 win vs. Louisiana
• Leads SEC and ranks 7th in NCAA with 3.0 TFLs
• Tied for SEC lead and for 2nd in NCAA with 2.0 sacks
• Tied for SEC lead with one forced fumble
OFFENSIVE LINEMAN: La’el Collins, LSU
• Played 79 of 80 snaps (helmet came off) in LSU’s 37-27 win over No. 20 TCU.
• In first start at left tackle, helped pave the way for an LSU offense that ran 80 plays for 448 yards (197 rushing, 251 passing) vs. TCU defense that returned 9 starters from unit that led Big 12 in total defense last year.
• LSU had 26 first downs and held the ball for 36 minutes … Did not allow a sack from his left tackle spot.
FRESHMAN: Laquon Treadwell, Ole Miss
• Led Ole Miss in receiving with nine catches for 82 yards in his debut and helped the Rebels to a thrilling victory at Vanderbilt.
• His nine catches are an Ole Miss freshman record and the most by a Rebel since Mike Espy had nine against Auburn in 2005.
• Caught a key 2-point conversion in the third quarter as Ole Miss rallied from 11 down.
• Hauled in a pass on three straight plays and four out of five in one stretch in the third quarter.