LUBBOCK, Texas (WTVA/Ole Miss Athletics) – The Ole Miss women’s tennis saw its season come to an end Saturday in the first round of the NCAA Championships with a 4-1 loss to No. 15 ranked Duke at the McLeod Tennis Center.
Duke was limited with five players due to injuries, so the Rebels won the No. 3 doubles match by default. However, the Blue Devils were able to come away with an 8-5 win at No. 2 followed by a 9-7 win at No. 1 to clinch the point.
Without a No. 6 player for Duke, the match was all even before the first hit of the ball in singles. The Rebels couldn’t take advantage though, losing straight set matches and two, four and one in that order.
First off the court, 56th-ranked Mary Clayton defeated sophomore Julia Jones 6-2, 6-3 at No. 2. Marianne Jodoin topped freshman Mai El Kamash 6-3, 6-1, and then 29th-ranked Hanna Mar defeated 45th-ranked Caroline Rohde-Moe 6-4, 6-1 at No. 1 for the win.
“This was a very disappointing match today,” head coach Mark Beyers said. “We lost a close tough doubles point and we didn’t recover from that. Overall, Duke outplayed and outfought us. We played some great matches this year, but unfortunately today wasn’t one of them.”
The Rebels end the season at (16-14) while Duke (15-9) moves onto a second round meeting against host Texas Tech.
The season is not quite over Rohde-Moe as she will compete in the NCAA Singles Championship, which begins May 22 in Champaign, Ill.
#15 Duke 4, #37 Ole Miss 1
1. Mary Clayton/Hanna Mar (DUKE) def. Erin Stephens/Iris Verboven (OM) 9-7
2. Marianne Jodoin/Annie Mulholland (DUKE) def. #40 Caroline Rohde-Moe/Marija Milutinovic (OM) 8-5
3. Julia Jones/Allie Robbins (OM) def. No player/No player (DUKE), by forfeit
Order of Finish: 3, 2, 1
1. #29 Hanna Mar (DUKE) def. #45 Caroline Rohde-Moe (OM) 6-4, 6-1
2. #56 Mary Clayton (DUKE) def. Julia Jones (OM) 6-2, 6-3
3. #106 Annie Mulholland (DUKE) vs. Erin Stephens (OM) 3-6, 3-2, unfinished
4. Marianne Jodoin (DUKE) def. #125 Mai El Kamash (OM) 6-3, 6-1
5. Nicole Lipp (DUKE) vs. Marija Milutinovic (OM) 2-6, 2-5, unfinished
6. Iris Verboven (OM) def. No player (DUKE), by forfeit
Order of Finish: 6, 2, 4, 1