OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Marcus Murphy rushed for 226 yards and four touchdowns as West Point defeated Hattiesburg 41-15 to win the Class 5A state championship on Saturday.
The Green Wave (15-0) now claim nine state titles. West Point won its second straight Class 5A state title and owns a 28-game winning streak.
"I know I'm getting stressed out cause I'm not gonna have him next year, but what can you say about him?" said West Point head coach Chris Chambless about Murphy. "He's an extraordinary person. That's first and foremost. Just love being around him. We've had a lot of great players in the past, but he's got a lot of good attributes. One of them is his character."
"I'm sad but then again I'm happy," Murphy said. "I'm sad because the game is over with, my season is over with, but I'm happy because we went back to back, went 15-0, made history at West Point."
Murphy's teammate, Chris Calvert, added 103 yards rushing and two touchdowns.
Hattiesburg finished the season with a 14-1 record.
- West Point wins Class 5A championship
- Jefferson Davis County wins Class 3A championship
- Starkville Academy wins MAIS class AAA state championship
- Noxubee County rallies to win Class 4A championship
- Taylorsville downs Winona for Class 2A championship
- BMC archer wins national championship
- Pearl rallies to defeat Starkville for Class 6A championship
- Two-A-Days: West Point, South Pontotoc
- EMCC wins fourth NJCAA National Championship
- Ole Miss volleyball wins NIVC Championship