TUPELO, Miss. (WTVA/THS Athletics) - One of the strongest and most successful programs at Tupelo High School sent three student-athletes to the next level Monday afternoon.
Sebastian Rios signed with Ole Miss, Zak Keith signed with Itawamba Community College, and Aryelle Waters signed with Hinds Community College.
Tupelo won its division last season but lost to Madison Central in the 6A North Half finals.
"It (playing at Tupelo) just prepares you, if you get tournaments and play these guys from different schools, Madison Central, the biggest rivals, they're all good players, and it gets you ready for college play," Keith said.
"Tennis is a very mental game, so, match play has played a really great role in us becoming who we are as tennis players," Waters said. "So, match play has definitely brought us a long way."
Rios, who will graduate THS this month and enroll at Ole Miss next fall, won 6A boys singles as a junior last April.
"I'm really looking forward to going to Oxford, and being part of a tennis team I've looked up to for the past five or six years," Rios said. "I really enjoy the atmosphere up there, the crowd being so energetic towards the tennis players, the tennis players open themselves up, so I'm looking pretty forward to it."
- Tupelo tennis trio headed to next level
- Ole Miss men's tennis headed to NCAA 'Sweet Sixteen'
- ICC announces 2018 tennis schedule
- Two area football players headed to next level
- Amory tennis standouts sign with ICC
- Ole Miss football trio named to NFF Hampshire Honor Society
- Ole Miss' Brown, MSU trio named to preseason watch lists
- Amory's Eli Black signs with Blue Mountain College tennis
- MSU men's tennis rallies to capture SEC title
- MSU, Ole Miss tennis teams receive NCAA bids