MONTGOMERY, Ala. (WTVA/BMC Athletics) - The Blue Mountain College men's basketball season came to an end here Tuesday to Martin Methodist at the SSAC Championship, with the Redhawks winning 74-64.
The Toppers looked strong in the first half, pounding the ball inside to LaByron Harris (JR/Fairfield, Ala.), who got easy looks over the top of defenders.
Harris led the Toppers in scoring, netting 14 on the day. Jaylon Bardley (JR/Columbus, Miss.) followed with 13 of his own, and Marcus Anthony (JR/Tuscaloosa, Ala.) chipped in 11.
The Toppers' Quan Cothron (JR/Huntsville, Ala.) pulled down 12 rebounds in the loss, while Harris grabbed 7 and blocked a shot.
Martin's Javonte Copper led his team with 14 points, and Will Smith added 13. Jordan Olison notched 11 for the Redhawks also.
Martin would go on to shoot 54 percent from the floor while BMC shot 39 percent.
The Toppers knocked down 5-of-21 from distance and Martin hit 5-of-10.
After the game, BMC head coach Jermael Bingham commented, "We did a good job in the first half getting the ball inside and scoring. We got away from that later in the game and Martin took advantage on the other end getting out ahead. I was pleased with the effort our guys gave. We learned a lot from this season, and I expect we'll grow as a team. All in all, I'm thankful for these guys, especially our seniors. I'm also thankful for the opportunity to coach them."
Blue Mountain ends the season with a record of 6-19.
- Toppers' season ends at SSAC Tourney
- Toppers take series from LSU-Shreveport
- Toppers stun No. 11 Dalton State
- Hamilton earns third SSAC Runner of the Week award
- BMC’s Bardley named SSAC Player of the Week
- BMC baseball’s Looker named SSAC Player of the Week
- Borges’ incredible season ends in NCAA Semifinals
- Ole Miss ends long skid, beats Florida 48-43 in SEC tourney
- MSU's record-breaking season ends in Tucson Regional
- Ole Miss women's golf ends historic season at NCAA Championships