OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Demarrius Turner scored two fourth-quarter touchdowns and Marquez Pam scored the game-winning two-point conversion with under two minutes remaining as Hollandale Simmons rallied to defeat Nanih Waiya 22-20 for the Class 1A championship.
The Blue Devils (15-0) trailed 14-0 at halftime and have now won 40 consecutive games.
Pam, the game's Most Valuable Player, rushed for 139 yards and a touchdown.
Taemaus Glass rushed for 182 yards and a touchdown for Nanih Waiya (15-1), which was seeking its first state championship in football.
"Congrats to Simmons. They're champions for a reason.," said Nanih Waiya head coach Ryan Keeton. "They made the plays when they had to and I just didn't do a good enough job in the second half. I got a great group of kids and they fought all day long, and I was real proud of them."
"They play competitive football, hats off to them," said Simmons head coach Wade Tackett. "They come in 15-0 with two of the best players in the state of Mississippi so we expected nothing less. I knew what they were capable of."
- Simmons downs Nanih Waiya for Class 1A title
- Nanih Waiya repeats as class 1A baseball champions
- Pine Grove defeats McAdams for 1A girls title
- Fitzgerald, Simmons named semifinalists for awards
- Saltillo's Kenzye Simmons signs with Mississippi College
- Simmons, Sweat secure preseason watch list honors
- Okolona defeats Ashland for 1A boys crown
- Taylorsville downs Winona for Class 2A championship
- Columbus boys defeat Meridian for Class 6A basketball title
- Jeffery Simmons named to Bednarik Award watch list