BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (WTVA/Ole Miss Athletics) - For the second time this season, Rebel freshman Promise Taylor has been named the SEC Freshman of the Week.
The Issaquah, Washington, native has started her Ole Miss career off as a crucial component of the 7-1 start for the Rebels this season. Taylor leads the SEC in blocks per game (3.3) and ranks second in field goal percentage (.677), and she ranks as the top freshman nationally in both categories. Overall, she ranks fourth nationally in total blocks (26) and eighth both in blocks per game and shooting percentage.
Taylor is coming off her first career double-double with a 15-point, 11-rebound performance vs. Arkansas State on Dec. 2. In two games last week, she nearly averaged a double-double overall with 10.5 points and 9.5 boards, shooting .750 across both contests. Taylor has only shot worse than .556 once this year (.333 vs. Delaware State), helping her to the conference’s second-best clip from the field.
Taylor also recorded eight total blocks in two games last week, including six alone vs. Arkansas State – the most since Shawn Goff blocked six vs. Alcorn State on Nov. 24, 2008. At her current pace of 3.3 blocks per game, Taylor is on pace to annihilate the Ole Miss single-season record with 98 by season’s end – blowing past the 67 that Goff blocked in 2007-08.
The Rebels are off for finals week, but return to the court this Saturday, Dec. 9, to host South Alabama inside The Pavilion at Ole Miss at 1 p.m. CT.
- Promise Taylor earns second SEC Freshman of the Week honor
- Taylor named SEC Freshman of the Week
- SEC All-Freshman center Promise Taylor joins Mississippi State
- Mia Davidson earns second SEC Freshman of the Week honor
- Taylor named SEC Freshman of the Week again
- Ole Miss’ Metcalf earns SEC All-Freshman honors
- McGillivary earns second Freshman of the Week honor
- Sweat, Calhoun earn SEC weekly honors
- Three Rebels earn SEC weekly honors
- Anderson Peters earns SEC Freshman Field Athlete of the Year honors