STARKVILLE, Miss. (AP) — Quinndary Weatherspoon had 19 points and Aric Holman added 18 points and a career-high 14 rebounds to lead Mississippi State to an 80-62 win over Vanderbilt on Tuesday at Humphrey Coliseum.
The Bulldogs (14-4 overall, 2-3 Southeastern Conference) also received 10 points from Lamar Peters.
Vanderbilt (6-12, 1-5) was led by Ejike Obinna's 14 points. Jeff Roberson added 10 points for the Commodores, who have dropped four straight.
Both teams struggled offensively in the opening minutes as the Bulldogs and Commodores were a combined 2 of 15 from the floor in the first five minutes. The Bulldogs maintained a lead for most of the first half. Weatherspoon scored six as Mississippi State closed with a 12-2 run to lead 37-25 at halftime.
The Bulldogs shot 41 percent in the first half, while the Commodores were a bit better at 42 percent. Mississippi State only had one turnover at intermission, while Vanderbilt had six.
Vanderbilt: The Commodores' woes in conference play continued on Tuesday. After defeating Alabama two weeks ago, Vanderbilt has now dropped four straight SEC games.
Mississippi State: The Bulldogs got a much-needed conference win after losing late leads last week in games against Ole Miss and Auburn. Mississippi State snapped a three-game SEC losing streak in the process.
Vanderbilt: Commodores return home this weekend and will host LSU on Saturday.
Mississippi State: Bulldogs return to the road Saturday at Alabama.
- Mississippi State rolls to 80-62 victory over Vanderbilt
- Matt Luke previews Vanderbilt
- Mississippi State rolls over Kentucky 45-7
- Mississippi State defeats Vanderbilt to advance to the College World Series
- Ole Miss softball rolls to 10-3 victory over Alabama
- Patterson leads Ole Miss over Vanderbilt 57-35
- Late innings doom Diamond Dawgs against Vanderbilt
- Diamond Dawgs lose series finale to Vanderbilt
- Ole Miss, Vanderbilt reschedule to Sunday doubleheader
- Mississippi State seniors claim win No. 100 in victory against Maine