STARKVILLE, Miss. (WTVA/MSU Athletics) – After averaging 18.0 points, 7.5 rebounds and 2.5 blocks in wins against Georgia State and Southern Miss, MSU women’s basketball center Teaira McCowan was named SEC Player of the Week, the league announced on Wednesday.
This is the first weekly conference honor for McCowan since being named Freshman of the Week on Dec. 1, 2015, and the last Bulldog to earn the accolade was Morgan William on Nov. 22, 2016.
The preseason Second Team All-SEC selection is currently scoring a team second-best 14.3 points per game, behind a 62.1 percent effort from the field. Her 54.2 percent career field goal percentage ranks second in State’s record books.
McCowan hit 9 of 10 shots against Georgia State, her highest percentage since shooting a school-record 92.3 percent on 12 of 13 from the field against Florida last season.
In Sunday’s contest against Southern Miss, McCowan recorded her 11th-career double-double, four more than her next closest teammate. Her three blocked shots against the Lady Eagles moved her into fourth place in MSU history with 110-career blocks.
As a crucial piece of the Bulldogs’ starting five, McCowan was recently named to the Lisa Leslie Award Watch List for the nation’s top center after earning last season’s SEC Sixth Woman of the Year award.
The Bulldogs head to Mexico for the Cancun Challenge to compete against No. 24 Arizona State, Columbia and Green Bay beginning on Thursday. All three contests will be live-streamed.
MSU returns to the “Magnolia State” on Nov. 29th when they venture to the Mississippi Coliseum in Jackson to face Louisiana at 7 p.m. Tickets for that game are on sale now at ticketmaster.com or by calling the Mississippi Coliseum box office.
- McCowan named SEC Player Of The Week
- Teaira McCowan named SEC Player Of The Week
- McCowan claims third SEC Player of the Week nod
- McCowan earns fourth SEC Player Of The Week award
- MSU's Victoria Vivians named SEC Player of the Week
- Tyler Keenan named SEC Player of the Week
- Rebs' Wunderlich, Little named SEC Players of the Week
- Taylor named SEC Freshman of the Week
- Victoria Vivians named SEC Player of the Week; Bulldogs stay No. 3 in Coaches Poll
- MSU tennis' Rakic named SEC Player of the Week after 4-0 weekend