OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA/Ole Miss Athletics) - Ole Miss (9-2) took a 1-0 lead over SIUE (4-1) after just two offensive at-bats and while the Rebels didn’t provide much additional offense from there, they wouldn’t need to with Kaitlin Lee shutting out the Cougars in a rainy home opener at the Ole Miss Softball Complex.
Lee finished the game with her second complete-game shutout of the season, surrendering four hits and matching her career-high with eight strikeouts. The win moves Lee to 6-0 on the season, the fourth most wins without a defeat this season in the SEC.
While the majority of the Ole Miss lineup struggled to pierce the armor of Cougar pitcher Emily Ingles, the top of the Rebel order achieved success. Elantra Cox continued her recent string of hot hitting, going 2-for-3, while Kylan Becker went 1-for-2 with a walk.
After Lee induced a 1-2-3 top of the first, Cox stepped into the box and immediately got the Rebels going, drilling a hard liner into the gap in left-center for a triple. Becker brought her fellow slapper home, reaching herself on a fielding error at short.
Ole Miss able to muster just three hits following the first inning but with Lee in the circle, it didn’t matter. After virtually shutting down the Cougars through the first six innings of the game, SIUE put its greatest threat to the Rebels’ lead together in the seventh when Zoe Schafer led off with a double. However, Lee dispelled any thoughts of a comeback, setting aside the next three batters to preserve the victory.
The Rebels and Cougars will face off in a rematch Monday afternoon at the Ole Miss Softball Complex, with first pitch slated for 3 p.m. Seth Austin and Lindsey Goubeaux will have the call on SEC Network +.
- Lee locks up SIUE in 1-0 Ole Miss win
- Ole Miss softball blanks South Carolina 1-0
- Lee too much for Georgia in 5-0 Ole Miss win
- Ole Miss' Kaitlin Lee tabbed SEC Pitcher of the Week
- Lee dazzles as Ole Miss softball tops LSU 3-1
- Rebel softball rides five-run fifth to victory over SIUE
- Ole Miss volleyball wins NIVC Championship
- Ole Miss sweeps Auburn
- Ole Miss baseball explodes for 11-3 win over Southern Miss
- MSU soccer drops 1-0 heartbreaker at Tennessee