COLLEGE STATION, Texas (WTVA/Ole Miss Athletics) - Behind a double-double from Emily Stroup and a solid match from Texas native Nayo Warnell, the Ole Miss volleyball team (14-9, 5-5) earned their first ever win against Texas A&M Sunday afternoon at Reed Arena, 3-1.
After A&M went on a big run to close out set three and avoid the shutout, Ole Miss came out ready to end the match in set four, gaining a 15-10 lead at the media timeout. They never relinquished their advantage finishing off the Aggies 25-16 for the 3-1 win.
The Rebels got off to an 8-2 start in set one, forcing Texas A&M to call timeout. The Aggies pulled to within two, 11-9, but they never got any closer the rest of the way, as Ole Miss closed out the set 25-1 behind four kills on a .800 clip from sophomore Emily Stroup.
Texas A&M got out to a 9-5 lead to begin set two, but the Rebels went on a 7-1 run to take a 12-10 lead forcing the Aggies to use their first timeout. The Rebels kept the pressure on the Aggies increasing their lead to 21-14. The Aggies went on a 6-0 run to cut it to 21-20 as Ole Miss called timeout. They tied it up at 21-21, before the Rebels closed out the set 25-22, on a 4-1 run, to take a 2-0 lead.
The Aggies took a 6-2 lead in the third set, but then the Rebels went on an 8-1 run to go up 10-7 as A&M called timeout. The Rebels led 20-16 late, but the Aggies used a 9-2 run to close out the set 25-22 and avoid the sweep.
- Ole Miss volleyball earns historic win at Texas A&M
- Luke previews Ole Miss-Texas A&M game
- Ole Miss volleyball wins NIVC Championship
- Tyler Davis leads Texas A&M past Ole Miss 71-69
- Ole Miss softball falls 2-0 at Texas A&M
- Ole Miss baseball takes SEC road series from Texas A&M
- Ole Miss baseball rallies for 5-4 win in series opener at Texas A&M
- Ole Miss' rally falls short in 7-6 loss at Texas A&M
- Ole Miss softball earns Saturday sweep
- Ole Miss drops road test at Texas